Disclaimer

This blog contains my thoughts and ideas. Often I will be writing about the Bible and I wish it to be known that when I do I will be interpreting it as I see it. I hope that everyone who reads this will check the Bible out for themselves and not take what I say as the correct interpretation. I am only human and make mistakes like anyone else. Only the Holy Spirit is capable of leading a person to to the truth of what the Bible means. For each of us must have an individual relationship with each member of the trinity and work out our own salvation with fear and trembling.

Philippians 2:11-13 (King James Version)
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Love And Tolerance


How very difficult it is to be estranged from those you love the most. It breaks ones heart to go for weeks, months even years without any real communication from ones children. This has been my situation with my children for some time now. The problem with my oldest child stems from their belief that, as a Christian, I am unloving and intolerant. They feel this way about all Christians.

What I have not been able to make my child understand is that Christian love is what makes them intolerant. Jesus himself teaches us in Matthew 5:27-30 "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." In other words, it is better not to tolerate even a part of ones body that causes one to sin than to allow it to remain and send one to eternal damnation.

As a Christian, I love people. But that does not mean that I love the sins that they commit. It does not mean that I condone their sin. It does not mean that I need tolerate their sin. It does not mean that I must accept their sin. In fact, I must do just the opposite, for because I love them I want for them the thing that I have, salvation and the bright hope of eternal life with Christ and God the Father. And I know that habitual sin will prevent them from having those things. Yes, it is my love for them that makes me intolerant. And little do those who claim to love and yet who are shouting that we must be tolerant know that it is they who do not love. For true love can not be tolerant, for tolerance leads to eternal damnation.

No comments:

Post a Comment