Disclaimer

This blog contains my thoughts and ideas. Often I will be writing about the Bible and I wish it to be known that when I do I will be interpreting it as I see it. I hope that everyone who reads this will check the Bible out for themselves and not take what I say as the correct interpretation. I am only human and make mistakes like anyone else. Only the Holy Spirit is capable of leading a person to to the truth of what the Bible means. For each of us must have an individual relationship with each member of the trinity and work out our own salvation with fear and trembling.

Philippians 2:11-13 (King James Version)
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Monday, June 21, 2010

My Ideal Church

On the advice of one of my fellow bloggers I am submitting the following comment, which I made on her blog, as a post on my own. A precious sister in Christ, Chrysalis, asked us to describe our ideal church. Below you will find my reply

I'm not sure that I can tell you what my ideal church is but I do know what it isn't.

It isn't a big building that costs a lot of money where the only people allowed to come are ones dressed in expensive clothes that are deemed "appropriate" by some committee.

It isn't carpeted with $35 a square foot carpet so that those who have no shoes and dirty feet are not allowed to enter in and worship.

It isn't decked out with stained glass windows that are so expensive that no help is available for the local homeless people.

It isn't pastored by a shepard whose salary is so high that the local poor cannot be helped to pay their utilities to have running water, electrity to run their refrigerator, etc.

It isn't pastored by a shepard that requires a parsonage so grand that the local poor cannot be helped with food to put on their tables for themselves and their children.

It isn't pastored by a shepard that drives a big fine new car every year and wears tailor made clothes while there are people in his town who go around without decent clothes and no coats during the winter.

I guess I don't think of the church as a place at all. I am the church. You are the church. We, the Christian people are the Church. We are the Bride of Christ and we are to fellowship and do the work of God, not build buildings to meet in.

The Bible says "where two are more are gathered together" He is in the midst of them. Well, He is here, on the internet with us, because we are gathering together here. And we are fellowshipping here. So I guess we are "a church"!

No comments:

Post a Comment